Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VE3OST Repeater
Thanks to Bobby for getting the new motorola and dropping it off here yesterday. I checked it out, the only thing I changed was the callsign from VE3GBT to VE3OST. I left the need for a tone OFF so it can be accessed without one. It is easily changed if needed.

A little history.
Originally VE3OST was part of our linked repeater and had it's home at the qth to Tom TVA. For various reasons that didn't work out ie:the link wasn't working, the coverage wasn't as expected and the antenna at Tom's was bent during a windstorm...it is still functional but looks funny lol..... then came covid and all efforts went out the window. On top of that the original machine was the old MSF5000, an arm stretcher to be sure, that finally met its maker earlier this year.

At the same time, I had made up a portable repeater for the club and picked a repeater pair that the old Goring repeater used 147.15+. In retrospect this wasn't a good choice as the cans that Frank has have a hard time tuning up that high... but we persevered and it was used with varying degrees of success at Blue Mountain and the BPMR.

So along came this MTR2000 which Randy was taking to Dayton so the executive made a good choice to get that. This repeater is not so large that it can't be easily moved around, so it could be the clubs new(er) portable machine for events and such. It also has the means for a 12vdc input but that is something for the repeater group (committee) to sort out.
-------------------
So I have this repeater here, between Bernie and Frank, who wants it at their qth?
------------------
So if it works out that the club wants to keep the VE3OST call and freq pair, then the question remains, what about the portable one that Frank has?

My suggestion is that it gets reprogrammed to serve as a backup repeater in the event OSR or GBT or OST is not available. Easily done to have all these frequencies programmed to the portable unit and then select whichever pair is needed at the time. This portable could also be a digipeater for VARA vhf as an option. Plus any other ideas others may have.

But this is up to the repeater group so I leave it in your hands to decide.
73 Tom

.pdf   portrptr001.pdf (Size: 1.02 MB / Downloads: 6)

NOTE: The schematic attached is slightly different than the actual. The schematic is for my own hamgadgets and the clubs setup does not have a db25 connector or timer cct. It was Rev1, my unit is Rev2....
I picked up the portable from Frank last weekend. The display on the receiver is faulty so I replaced it with one from my own portable setup. I am going to discontinue my own portable and rework that one into a uhf portable. Mostly for my own interest. Going forward , the club will have the VHF portable repeater. 

The portable setup can find uses as a spare if OSR or GBT have issues or at events using the OST settings. In addidition, the Motorola mtr2000 which the club recently purchased can also be used for VE3OST. Franks cavities filters will be changed to match the 146.895/295 pair.

I programed the portable to cover all our repeaters with VE3OST, VE3OSR and VE3GBT. These settings, at this point do not have any tones involved but can be easily changed. The repeater pairs are set at 35 watts transmitter power.

I also added a 4th mode to the transmitter and called it XMTR-FOX ... this mode is for fox hunts, is at 146.565 mhz and has an output of 3 watts. Attached are the hamgadgets setting for changing the controller with different callsigns according to the pair selected or to implement a fox hunt transmitter. Attached are some programming notes using putty.

Hamgadgets

Putty

.pdf   GBARC Hamgadgets Repeater Settings.pdf (Size: 341.5 KB / Downloads: 4)