Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spring / Summer backyard tower project
I had a concern about going above the 15 metre height that I'm allowed through regulation.  Then I had a great conversation with Lloyd Hoffman with Radio Amateurs  of Canada.  They affiliate themselves with the Ministry of Industry, Science, Technology and Innovation.  Lloyd said he has had hundreds of inquiries like mine since the Federal Government allowed us the freedom to erect towers and antennae up to 15 metres in height.

In a nutshell, he said f you have a free standing tower on your property it is 100% Federal jurisdiction.  As long as the tower or base is not connected to any building or structure, even the local building authority has no say.

He suggested to play nice with everyone, meaning the Municipality and neighbors, but if it anything came down to a shoving match, the Feds have the final say.

With respect to putting a 27’ mast on my 45’ tower, he said that is not an issue either.  He said when the legislation was drafted, what the Government had in mind was mainly aircraft obstruction.  He said until you get up around 100’, it’s not an issue and that I would be OK to proceed.

This certainly eased my concerns.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spring / Summer backyard tower project - by Rob_Walker - 2020-05-21, 17:30:54