Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spring / Summer backyard tower project
(2020-04-29, 17:38:59)Rob_Walker Wrote: Thank you very much for reaching out John.  Are you in Owen Sound?  I'm at the bottom of 10th street with the escarpment to one side.  I'm hoping my location and the city noise does not work against me.

73 Rob

Rob, I'm on the west side just across the boundary in Georgian Bluffs on Park Street near Brooke. Bernie, VE3BQM, lives just down the same street. My details are good on QRZ.com. Noise is always a problem in urban areas. That's one of the reasons I like simple wire antennas. Vertical antennas pickup a lot of noise; my horizontal end-fed resonant wire (on 40m, 80m) is better and horizontal loops pick up least noise. Most radios can compensate for noise through IF (and sometimes AF) filtering so it shouldn't be a big problem. We are currently at the bottom of the solar cycle so HF propagation conditions vary between poor and fair. QRN (static) and QSB (fading) are much bigger problems than local electrical noise at the moment.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spring / Summer backyard tower project - by VA3KOT John - 2020-04-30, 09:48:32