Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Field Day Feedback Please
I didn't get off the couch and come out to help this year, so I feel like I don't have the right to be making suggestions, but here goes:

Experience with GBARC FDs at very public venues (Conservation Area, Bayshore, Grey-Roots), showed that our success at connecting with members of the public to explain what we were doing, was very limited.  Tom's property is not public and I suggest we should not worry about that.  It's a good location and his offer is very generous.

In addition to forum posts, I'd suggest one or more mailouts directly to all the membership promoting participation.  Do this early enough to allow for some preparation.  There are a lot of people on the membership list that we're not hearing from, on the net, or at meetings.  We need to do more to keep connected.

Greg mentioned assigning responsibilities on the net.  I think that's a good idea.  One obvious one would be the "N1MM Captain", to help everyone be ready in advance.  The second most important role would be the "Food Captain" :-)

I don't think we need to designate ourselves as "social" or "contest".  I think we achieved a pretty good balance in past years and we just need to get back to that.

Remember that FD is supposed to exercise our ability to operate from a temporary location, with off-grid power, in case we have to do it for real some day.  ARRL positions it like a contest, with scores, etc., to bring out people who like contesting, and who probably wouldn't show up just for an "emergency drill".

Dave, VE3WI

RE Club Windows PC: 

FWIW: I have had very good luck buying used PCs from Infotech Computers in Toronto.  They always have a good selection of refurbished ex-business desktops and laptops, all preloaded with Windows 10 Pro, as well as monitors and accessories. I bought a desktop which I used in 2020 for delivering Bruce Power training from home.  I also bought a laptop which I reloaded with Linux Mint, and a mini-laptop for my wife.  https://www.infotechcomputers.ca/

Dave, VE3WI

Messages In This Thread
Field Day Feedback Please - by VA3KOT John - 2022-06-27, 08:46:12
RE: Field Day Feedback Please - by Adam_VE3FP - 2022-06-27, 15:54:16
RE: Field Day Feedback Please - by Tom VA3TS - 2022-06-30, 09:30:53
RE: Field Day Feedback Please - by Adam_VE3FP - 2022-06-30, 22:16:07
RE: Field Day Feedback Please - by Rob_Walker - 2022-07-01, 14:12:15
RE: Field Day Feedback Please - by Tom VA3TS - 2022-07-01, 22:37:41
RE: Field Day Feedback Please - by VA3KOT John - 2022-07-06, 11:38:48
RE: Field Day Feedback Please - by VE3WI Dave - 2022-07-06, 19:44:34
RE: Field Day Feedback Please - by VA3KOT John - 2022-07-07, 10:40:33