Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light, Portable, Powerful, Solar Panels
Those who know me know that I am a long time follower of OH8STN. He is the real deal when it comes to lightweight, off-grid, man (person) portable operating. Located in the north of Scandinavia he is confronted with very challenging operating conditions yet, does portable activation's in all seasons, even the depth of the sub-arctic winters. He buys and field tests gear so as to provide real world results for his followers. Which is to say, what he offers are not arm chair gear reviews.

My purpose in sharing this video is because it features a relatively new and important solar panel technology. When operating portable and off-grid power is naturally the single most important aspect for any station. Having more power available from solar proves the operator with options that would otherwise not be possible. The powerful, lightweight solar panels featured in this video are real game changes for potable operators. When combined with lightweight, LiFePo batteries these panels make possible a practical, portable and capable field station which can operate virtually anywhere under the most demanding conditions.

Even if you have no personal interest in operation in this fashion I can still recommend watching the video. Information is power and so knowing what technology is available is a least enlightening. I believe that it is important that we each consider how important it might be to be on the air during a real emergency. Traditionally that means having either a generator or just a battery with companion AC/DC charger. However, conditions in the world are rapidly changing with regard to fuel making the use of a generator for backup power uncertain. For me the ultimate solution for backup power is a decent solar panel, a point which OH8STN (Julian) makes very well with his demonstrations.

While Julian is showing state-of-the-art solar technology for portable operating this is only one approach to power as station off-grid. Even a simple rigid 40 watt solar panel from Canadian Tire of other such outlet, with a cheap charge controller and 12 volt SLA battery will keep a modest station on the air during a blackout. For a fixed station such an arrangement, while not ideal is better than nothing. Solar is not a panacea, just another way to power a station in a pinch. If fuel is in short supply, as happens during prolonged blackouts like in Texas of California, solar can save the day. Likewise when it is -40C and the generator will just not turn over, solar has no moving parts and does not require a pull starter to get going. Even on overcast days, solar still produces power.

If nothing else, I hope this video will inspire you to think about backup power. Enjoy