Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zoom Meeting Low bandwidth issues
Big Grin 
Some members have issues with Zoom quality. Some of it could be due to several conditions.
Here are some remedies that may improve your Zoom experience.

1. Zoom running on outdated hardware which may not be a bandwidth problem. 
    - try another device, cell phone or tablet which is more current.

2. Close other applications using memory while using Zoom.

3. Hardwire your device to the router and avoid wireless connection.

4. Disable HD video by unchecking HD video check box in video settings

5. Disable your video by clicking on video icon or just just show a static image instead.

6. Disable other devices using the router during Zoom meeting.

Internet bandwidth is improving everywhere but not fast enough. I didn't think I would see reliable bandwidth in my lifetime at my QTH here in the country but we are now in the process of getting Fiber to Home. The fiber is all coiled up at the house and as long as the company doesn't run into financial problems we should have plenty of bandwidth. Keeping my fingers crossed.  Big Grin
73, Adam ve3fp
All good tips, thanks Adam.

Another tip: keep your mike muted except when you want to say something.  Any background noise, clearing your throat etc will be transmitted, interfering with the person speaking (and soaking up bandwidth).  Also if you have your video enabled, the noise will cause Zoom to pop your mug onto everyone's screens, interfering with the person speaking (and soaking up bandwidth).

If you want to say something you can get the host's attention by clicking "reactions" at the bottom of the screen, then click "raise hand".  When you are acknowledged, un-mute and talk.  Click "raise hand" again to turn it off.  Re-mute when done.

I did a lot of training from home for Bruce Power last year.  With a class full of unruly operators & engineers, the mike-mute and hand-raise features avoided chaos - most of the time :-)

Dave, VE3WI
(2021-11-22, 11:52:17)VE3WI Dave Wrote: All good tips, thanks Adam.

Another tip: keep your mike muted except when you want to say something.  Any background noise, clearing your throat etc will be transmitted, interfering with the person speaking (and soaking up bandwidth).  Also if you have your video enabled, the noise will cause Zoom to pop your mug onto everyone's screens, interfering with the person speaking (and soaking up bandwidth).

If you want to say something you can get the host's attention by clicking "reactions" at the bottom of the screen, then click "raise hand".  When you are acknowledged, un-mute and talk.  Click "raise hand" again to turn it off.  Re-mute when done.

I did a lot of training from home for Bruce Power last year.  With a class full of unruly operators & engineers, the mike-mute and hand-raise features avoided chaos - most of the time :-)

Dave, VE3WI
Yes, that is another thing I should have added. The presenter has the option to mute all participants. This way, don't have to rely on each to mute its own. Space bar can be used like 
PTT or ALT A to mute/unmute.
73, Adam ve3fp
Presentations (mostly one-way) are easier to manage vs. a meeting where there will be a lot of back and forth.  We just have to be a bit disciplined.  That goes for Zoom and face-to-face :-)

I'm envious of your fiber to home.  Eastlink laid fiber on all the streets around us but not our street.  I guess we offended them somehow.  I'm basically happy with my DSL connection from Bruce Telecom.  I could pay more for a faster plan but don't see the need.  I'm actually amazed what can be done with 35 yr old twisted pair copper phone lines!

Dave, VE3WI