Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carbon Fiber Masts - Good or Bad?
I'm sure I've seen discussions on QRZ.com and eHam.net about the effects of carbon fiber masts.  Some forum searches may yield useful information. 

My opinion: I don't have one of those masts.  I have read that some of the cheaper ones aren't carbon fiber at all, just fiberglass tinted black.  A real carbon fiber mast is made from long fibers wound on the bias, thus will be somewhat conductive.  I wouldn't expect any significant coupling into a vertical mast from a horizontal or near horizontal antenna due to the near 90° angle between the mast and the antenna.  After all, people use steel & aluminum masts to hold up dipoles.  On the other hand, if you tape a wire onto the mast to make a vertical antenna, RF will be coupled into the mast, which will degrade the antenna's performance (degree?).  If you run the wire up inside the hollow mast, I would expect significant shielding.

Suggestion: buy one & do some measurements.  It would make a good TCA article, RAC's always looking for material.

Re effect of trees on antenna emission: two detailed studies were published in QST in the last few years (by Dr. Steve Stearns K6OIK & Dr. Kai Siwiak KE4PT).  If anyone is really interested let me know & I'll lend you the magazines.

Dave, VE3WI

Messages In This Thread
Carbon Fiber Masts - Good or Bad? - by Marvin VE3VCG - 2021-04-30, 16:40:59
RE: Carbon Fiber Masts - Good or Bad? - by VE3WI Dave - 2021-05-02, 12:23:22
RE: Carbon Fiber Masts - Good or Bad? - by Marvin VE3VCG - 2021-05-02, 15:57:07