Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RAC Ontario Sections Bulletin for Nov 21,2020

RAC Ontario Sections Bulletin for Nov 21,2020

This is V__3____, Official Bulletin Station for Radio Amateurs of Canada, with this week's bulletin

NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL NEWS

---------------------

NOTE:  Temporary telephone problems at RAC Office on Thursday and Friday (19th and 20th November)
Voicemails left at that time will be inaccessable.  The phone service is espected to be up and
running on Monday Nov 23rd.     For urgent requests e-mail: racgm @ rac.ca

---------------------
1. Maurice-André Vigneault, VE3VIG and Doug Leach, VE3XK (SK) appointed to the Canadian Amateur Radio
Hall of Fame for 2020

The Constitution for the Hall specifies that the appointment as Member of the Hall is made for “outstanding
achievement and excellence of the highest degree, for serious and sustained service to Amateur Radio in
Canada, or to Amateur Radio at large”.

Maurice-André Vigneault, VE3VIG, obtained his Amateur Radio certification in 1990 following a 38-year career
in the Canadian Armed Forces where he specialized in radio, radar and in teaching electronics. Subsequently,
he went on to serve the Amateur Radio community internationally as Canadian delegate to AMSAT and to the
ARISS Working Group and as a member of the ARISS School Selection Committee for Canada and Latin America.

A summary of Maurice-André’s contributions to Amateur Radio will be published in an  upcoming issue of
The Canadian Amateur magazine.

The contributions that Doug Leach, VE3XK (SK), has made to Amateur Radio in Canada have been many
and long lasting. Sadly, Doug became a Silent Key on January 15, 2020.

As one of the driving forces behind the creation of Radio Amateurs of/du Canada, he served as the RAC
First Vice-President in 1997-98 and was the RAC Director for the Ontario North Region from 2001 to 2004.
Doug successfully initiated numerous programs that have served to define the organization, including: the RAC
Affiliated Club Program; the RAC Foundation; the RAC Audio-Visual Program; the RAC Liability Insurance Program;
and the RAC alias email forwarding programs.

A summary of Doug’s contributions to Amateur Radio will be published in an  upcoming issue of The
Canadian Amateur magazine.

For more information on the Canadian Amateur Radio Hall of Fame please visit: https://wp.rac.ca/carhof/
Frank Davis, VO1HP,  Chair, Board of Trustees  Canadian Amateur Radio Hall of Fame

ONTARIO SECTION NEWS

2.  Alert Ready test coming to wireless devices on Wednesday (Nov 25th)

On November 25, 2020, a public test message will be issued through Alert Ready, Canada’s public alerting system,
by most provincial and territorial emergency management organizations. Each participating province and territory
will issue one test message that will be distributed over television, radio and compatible wireless devices.

Ontario's test will be on Wednesday Nov 25, at 12:55 P.M. EST

ITEMS OF INTEREST

3.   Damaged Giant Radio Telescope at Arecibo Observatory Deemed Beyond Repair

The damaged 305-meter radio telescope at Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico will be decommissioned due to
safety concerns, the National Science Foundation announced on November 19. The iconic dish has served as a
backdrop for several science fiction movies. The Arecibo Observatory Amateur Radio Club, KP4AO, is headquartered
at the research facility, and several radio amateurs are employed there.

“Following a review of engineering assessments, damage to the Arecibo Observatory was confirmed. It cannot be
stabilized without risk to construction workers and staff at the facility. the US National Science Foundation will begin
plans to decommission the 305-meter telescope, which for 57 years has served as a world-class resource for radio
astronomy, planetary, solar system, and geospace research.”

The decommissioning plan focuses only on the 305-meter telescope and is intended to safely preserve other parts of
the observatory that could be damaged or destroyed in the event of an unplanned, catastrophic collapse, NSF said.
“The plan aims to retain as much as possible of the remaining infrastructure of Arecibo Observatory, so that it remains
available for future research and educational missions.”

-- Full story at ARRL website

4.  Five Ways Ham Radio Has Changed in the Last 40 Years  (by Sean Kutzko, KX9X)

Sean writes in his blog - I’ve been licensed for almost 40 years now. Hobby radio has been a part of my life, in one
form or another, since I was three years old. In that time, it has morphed and changed in some very interesting ways,
not all of which I was able to predict.

Here are five major ways I feel Ham radio has changed since I earned my license back in May of 1982.
Please note, my opinions are my own and I speak for nobody but myself.
    1. SWLing Isn’t as Much Fun Anymore
    2. No CW Requirement
    3. The Digital Revolution
    4. The Role of Ham Radio in Emergency Communications
    5. It’s More Popular Than Ever
the full blog (with explanations) at: https://www.onallbands.com/five-ways-ham...-40-years/

This concludes this week's bulletin. Does anyone require repeats or clarifications?
Hearing none, This is V__3____ returning the frequency to net control.

=====================================================================
Bulletin sent from Official Bulletin Manager

Posted by: Paul Caccamo <va3pc @ rac.ca>