Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OPINION: ARES is Dead; Let's Bury It.
Our area is under a declared state-of-emergency due to Covid-19 but it is unclear what this actually means in terms of emergency response.

The role of amateur radio is undefined in an extended declared emergency like this. However, we could be prepared to assist individuals connect with family, friends and support services during a lockdown.

When an earthquake hit Italy a few years back, hams set up an open channel on 20m for just that purpose. Regular communications in the affected region were disrupted and hams helped Italians in North America find out whether family and friends in the earthquake zone were safe.

The City of Owen Sound has an action plan for emergencies and Grey County ARES is a part of it:

Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) On request from the City:
Provide a representative to the City’s EOC to determine the amateur radio communication needs and capabilities
Activate emergency notification procedures for the Saugeen Sector of the Amateur Radio Emergency Services operators
Ensure that the EOC is properly equipped and staffed
Establish an area wide radio network in the event of a telephone failure
Coordinate the deployment of amateur radio operators and resources during an emergency according to the needs of the EOC.
Maintain a personal log of all actions taken

Are we ready I wonder?

A neighbour of mine is a firefighter with the City of Owen Sound. When he found out that I am a ham operator he told me the city's fire hall has ham radio equipment "but nobody ever uses it" he said.

He told me that firefighters turn it on from to time but never hear anything on it. I cautioned him not to try to transmit on that radio because its operation requires a ham radio licence.

I also told him the equipment is there in preparation for an emergency and would not be used except for that purpose.

Are we maintaining this equipment? Has it been tested regularly to ensure it is ready for use when required? Where else do we have an emergency station set up?

Messages In This Thread
RE: OPINION: ARES is Dead; Let's Bury It. - by VA3KOT John - 2020-10-15, 09:37:05
RE: OPINION: ARES is Dead; Let's Bury It. - by Marvin VE3VCG - 2021-04-09, 12:37:10
RE: OPINION: ARES is Dead; Let's Bury It. - by Marvin VE3VCG - 2021-04-10, 08:21:19
RE: OPINION: ARES is Dead; Let's Bury It. - by Marvin VE3VCG - 2021-04-10, 14:54:59
ARES Grey Website - by Tom VA3TS - 2021-04-10, 16:49:27
RE: ARES Grey Website - by Adam_VE3FP - 2021-04-10, 18:23:47
RE: OPINION: ARES is Dead; Let's Bury It. - by Marvin VE3VCG - 2021-04-11, 10:42:35