Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POTA Activation at Hibou Conservation Area
I took advantage of the fine weather this afternoon and slipped out to Hibou Conservation Area just outside Owen Sound for another quick POTA activation. POTA's rules state that an activator must be within 100ft of a designated trail to claim an activation. So I carefully selected my position in the park (POTA # VE-5651) so that I was well within 100 feet of County Road 15 which is also part of the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail (POTA # VE-6003) making my operation today a "2-fer".

I brought my FT-891 along for this activation. Antenna was a 20m End-Fed Half-Wave suspended vertically from a wooden support kindly provided by the Grey Sauble Conservation Authority (a tree). I started calling CQ and was immediately hit with a pile-up that lasted for a half hour. Activity finally subsided after 34 minutes with 36 QSOs in the log. It took a mere 8 minutes to log the required 10 to validate the activation - a new record for me. The only DX today was in Peurto Rico.

The GBARC POTA Team
Dan VA3DNY and Bobby VE3PAV have come forward to express their interest in getting involved with a club POTA activity. If we can get another couple of people interested I will register the club callsign so that GBARC can earn credit for POTA activations and hunting (hunting means having QSOs with activators - even from your home shack). I am a CW op, Dan and Bobby are primarily SSB ops so the team would welcome somebody who can do FT8, then we will have all the available modes covered.

I will shortly announce the first GBARC team activation to be held at Hibou CA. Everyone is welcome to come along even if you just want to observe.
John VA3KOT
Blog: HamRadioOutsideTheBox.ca