Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different Type of Contest
RandomGram is unlike the typical amateur ("ham") radio contest. Scores are determined entirely by the accurate exchange of random character groups in Morse code. Scoring in most other contests primarily involves logging of call signs: the actual information exchange is often predictable, redundant and automated.

The content of each RandomGram contact is unique. As such, duplicate contacts are not an issue. There is no "dup" restriction in RandomGram. Multiple contacts between the same stations on the same band are permitted, and encouraged, because fresh content is exchanged in each.

Absence of a dup restriction has the effect of equalizing stations of widely different capability. Low-power stations with wire antennas that can only reach a few other regional stations on one or two bands can be as active as the "big dogs" running high power output and multiple arrays. There is no Power category or SPC multiplier in RandomGram.

Even an SWL with no transmitter may participate by monitoring RG stations and logging the code groups they exchange. All participants are encouraged to earn additional points by intercepting traffic passed between other stations.
Automated and computer-assisted means of transmitting and receiving Morse code are permitted, but only for those who would not otherwise be able to participate-- never for convenience or competitive advantage. Many participants use traditional style telegraph keys: straight keysemi-automatic "bug" and sideswiper "cootie".

How to participate...

1. Obtain a registered transmit list of random code groups by emailing your call sign to RandomGram+owner@groups.io
  2. During the event call "CQ RG", or answer such calls, on non-WARC HF bands;
  3. Transmit real RST and one code group from your TX List to the other operator;
  4. Log the group received from the other operator. You can also monitor other stations and log the groups they exchange;
  5. You can contact any participating station multiple times on the same band;
  6. Submit your call sign and all of your logged groups by email to the above address;
  7. Results will be posted in the RandomGram Group on Groups.io. (Subscription not required.)
For detailed discussion, operating tips and examples see the Overview & FAQ

Event #3
July 21/22 @ 20:00 - 05:00 UTC[i]
TX Lists are available now.
More info 
here.[/i]
73, Adam ve3fp
I have participated in the last two RandomGram events and will be participating again in RG#3 this weekend. I am on team Straight Key but in the future I may switch to the Paddles team. I get very tired very quickly using a straight key these days.
John VA3KOT
Blog: HamRadioOutsideTheBox.ca
(2023-07-19, 09:26:39)VA3KOT John Wrote: I have participated in the last two RandomGram events and will be participating again in RG#3 this weekend. I am on team Straight Key but in the future I may switch to the Paddles team. I get very tired very quickly using a straight key these days.

I know it gets tiring with a straight key, I only use it in SKCC contests but haven't done one in a while.

Good luck in RG#3 this weekend. Not sure if I will participate yet.
73, Adam ve3fp
(2023-07-21, 18:16:28)Adam_VE3FP Wrote:
(2023-07-19, 09:26:39)VA3KOT John Wrote: I have participated in the last two RandomGram events and will be participating again in RG#3 this weekend. I am on team Straight Key but in the future I may switch to the Paddles team. I get very tired very quickly using a straight key these days.

I know it gets tiring with a straight key, I only use it in SKCC contests but haven't done one in a while.

Good luck in RG#3 this weekend. Not sure if I will participate yet.

It wasn't a good event for me; propagation conditions were pretty bad. I had an S9+ noise level and QSB but I logged a few code groups and transmitted a couple of my own. I was S&P only - my straight key fist just doesn't work well enough for repeated CQs.
I tuned into the KPH broadcast on 12808.50 Saturday. Same poor conditions so didn't copy any groups; the signal was down in the noise.
John VA3KOT
Blog: HamRadioOutsideTheBox.ca