GEORGIAN BAY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB
Minutes of the Monthly Club Meeting
24th of June 2023 (At field day event)
Call to order by Marvin VE3VCG at 12:25 PM
Marvin Double VE3VCG President, Dan Mills VA3DNY Secretary, Doug McDougall VE3DGY Treasurer, Tex Brown VE3USI Vice President
Larry Price VE3WDF, Tom St. Amand VA3TS, Adam Karasinski VE3FP, Bobby Pavlovic VE3PAV, Philip deKat VE3DPB, Dave Newcombe VE3WI, Frank Gufler VA3GUF, Norman Reintamm VA3NIR
No tech talk presented due to it being Field Day.
Minutes of the May Meeting were published in the newsletter. The minutes were accepted as written.
(motion: Dave VE3WI, second: Phil VE3DPB)
Doug VE3DGY presented the financial report.
The main transactions for the month comprised of a payment of $254.25 for the port-a-potty, a bank fee of $5.00, an e-transfer fee of $1.50, a deposit for 2 memberships, and a generous donation of $100.00 from Norm VA3NIR.
The closing balance for the month was $xxxx.00. Currently there are 36 members.
Doug also informed us that the corporate director's list was updated to reflect the executive changes.
The treasurer's report was approved.
(motion: Philip VE3DPB, second: Dan VA3DNY)
Bernie VE3BQM will pick up the portable repeater from Frank VA3GUF to keep it more available. (waiting on a time that works for both parties)
Doug VE3DGY turned the GBARC greeting cards over to Marvin VE3VCG.
Tom VA3TS has the account information for the GBARC page at QRZ.com and will send it to Doug VE3DGY who will take over updating it.
There was continued interest by some members in placing an order for GBARC hats and shirts. Frank VA3GUF volunteered to do some research for an order at RAM Trophies and will report back.
After another discussion about getting business/QSL cards printed, Marvin VE3VCG called a vote and it was passed. Doug VE3DGY will proceed to design and place an order (1000 cards for $99 expected).
A discussion about St. John's Ambulance protocol took place as a result of the Huron Shores run. (Calling 911 vs. First Aid)
Tom VA3TS recommended that we don't accept any responsibility for first aid or safety...we provide communication only!
Norman VA3NIR suggested that GBARC should be providing our own waiver to a group, not the other way around.
Marvin VE3VCG indicated that he has prepared information to be sent out by Winlink during Field Day for extra points.
Tex VE3USI explained to us the difficulties with making reservations at the Rockford Restaurant for the Saturday breakfast gatherings.
He has been in contact with Elsie's Diner in Springmount and they are much more welcoming and flexible. There was a vote that passed to try the new location for the next two months and decide from there if it should be a permanent change. Tex will follow up with them about a Christmas lunch if the trial works out.
A fox hunt was organized for the 3rd Saturday of June. Approximately 7 people expressed an interest in participating.
Tom VA3TS has volunteered to be the "fox" but also said the transmitter can be borrowed at any time if someone else wants to be a "fox" and let him join the chase group.
Doug VE3DGY proposed that he could host a "mini" field day type event on his property later in the summer if there was enough interest. He will send out messages to the group with details later.
Richard VE3OZW had also offered to host an event like this at his QTH at a different time.
Marvin VE3VCG presented information about a possible event to be held on Chantry Island this summer for Lighthouses on the air. It could be a day trip or an overnight event and the lighthouse can support a wire antenna.
There would be a cost for each person going across by boat plus a donation to their organization. There was not enough interest by the members present so the event will not move forward.
Marvin VE3VCG made a quick reminder about the Bruce Peninsula Multi-Sport race and he may be looking for volunteers for that day.
Dan VA3DNY reminded the group about the 50/50 draws we held at meetings prior to COVID and asked if anyone was interested in them starting up again. There was positive feedback and Doug VE3DGY said that he has the tickets we can use.
We will start holding draws at our meetings going forward.
Meeting Adjourned prior to the official start to Field Day
(motion: Frank VA3GUF, second: Norman VA3NIR)
Minutes of the Monthly Club Meeting 23rd of May 2023
Call to order by Marvin VE3VCG at 7:05 PM
Marvin Double VE3VCG President, Dan Mills VA3DNY Secretary
Janet Double VA3EAC, Jim Reeves VE3JMD, Larry Price VE3WDF, Tom St. Amand VA3TS, Adam Karasinski VE3FP, Bobby Pavlovic VE3PAV, Philip deKat VE3DPB, Greg Larocque VE3RQY, Bernie Monderie VE3BQM, Dave Newcombe VE3WI
Key and Keyer Show and Tell - Presented by Tom VA3TS
Tom presented each of his keys and a keyer to the group while describing their various features. They were passed around the room for everyone to see up close.
Some of the collection (but not all) included: A bathtub key (British Air Force?), flameproof key, leg mounted key (Cdn military?), Bencher paddles, Vibroplex Vibrokeyer, Heathkit keyer with paddles built in, and a telegraph sounder.
Part 2 of the tech talk was a demonstration and explanation of his Fox Hunt transmitter.
Tom created the "ammo can" fox using a battery, HT and a Ham Gadgets ID-O-Matic controller. It all fit neatly into a surplus steel ammo box and has an external antenna connection.
Minutes of the April Meeting were published in the newsletter. The minutes were accepted as written.
(Motion: Adam VE3FP, second: Phil VE3DPB)
Doug VE3DGY was absent, but submitted the report ahead of the meeting. The main transactions for the month comprised of a payment of $500.00 via e-transfer for the repeater, a bank fee of $5.00, and an e-transfer fee of $1.50. The closing balance for the month was $xxxx.00
Currently there are 34 members. The treasurer's report was approved. (Motion: Bernie VE3BQM, second: Jim VE3JMD)
Greeting cards and tech talk:
Doug VE3DGY has obtained the 10 greeting cards with the club information on them to be used as needed.
He has also created a tech talk schedule and there are already 4 scheduled ahead for upcoming meetings.
We had a follow up discussion on field day plans. Some of the points made:
The stations should be spread out more to avoid interference like we experienced last year.
The same version of N1MM must be used by all stations or they won't work together. Please update your software the Thursday before field day.
We should have 3 stations and divide up operations on 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 M plus Marvin VE3VCG will provide a WinLink GOTA/public station.
Greg VE3RQY will look into tents and chairs for the event.
Dave VE3WI may have a generator for the event.
Port-a-potty will be arranged prior to the event.
Other old business:
Bernie VE3BQM will pick up the portable repeater from Frank VA3GUF to keep it more available.
Executive meetings will be scheduled as needed prior to regular meetings. Skype or Google Meet can be used to save drive time.
Tom VA3TS has added an email link on the Meetings website page for members to email the Secretary with new business.
Marvin VE3VCG will request that the Treasurer (absent from meeting) provides an up-to-date email list to the executive.
Jim VE3JMD informed the club of donations made by the wife of a SK (Wayne) to be sold or used as needed. A partial list was provided but not everything has been tested by Jim yet.
Some of the list included test equipment. Dave VE3WI and Marvin VE3VCG suggested perhaps the club could use some of it to establish a library of test equipment for members to utilize.
Bernie VE3BQM is looking for who has control over the club QRZ page (VE3OSR)? He suggested that it could be updated to provide current information.
Adam VE3FP provided an example of his new QSL cards. He recommended QSLconcepts.com and suggested that the club consider getting some to hand out or send out. They could be more generic and have check boxes on the back for specific events. Tom VA3TS pointed out that the outgoing RAC Bureau can be used for RAC members.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:30 PM
(Motion: Janet VA3EAC, second: Bernie VE3BQM)