If you are registering, please use your callsign as your username. If you don't have a callsign yet, use your firstname and the Initial from your last name, like John M

VE3OST

News, Announcements, Items of interest, Club events, notices
ve3efq

VE3OST

Post by ve3efq » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:15 pm

VE3OST is ON THE AIR in Woodford
146.895- T97.4

I have this programmed into my HT for I saw the notice on the main section of the club's home-page.

I have not heard any traffic on it yet though.

I was wondering about the presence of any half-hourly or hourly tones akin to the signals put out by OSR - are there similar items on 'OST to let people know that the repeater is active?

'EFQ
0 x

va3ts

Re: VE3OST

Post by va3ts » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:34 pm

I can key it up from my qth and hear the voice ID'er. I have yet to hear anyone from Meaford tho
0 x
GBARC Forum Admin ... send questions etc to contact@gbarc.ca

ve3efq

Post by ve3efq » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:25 pm

I heard it this morning, albeit not well; nor do I think any of my attempted transmissions made it to it given my location at the time.
0 x

ve3wrf

Post by ve3wrf » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:31 pm

I have tried from my QTH with both mobile and HT but while I can faintly hear OSR, I cannot reach anyone. I think I "kerchunk" OST but not positive.
0 x

ve3efq

Post by ve3efq » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:39 am

I was in the woods in a camp very close to Woodford and I could hear it relaying OSR but I don't think any of my signals went out through OST even though I could easily get out on OSR.
0 x

VE3OSA

Post by VE3OSA » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Hey all
I finally got my mobile setup in my car so I was trying to get to VE3OST. No luck. I can get the kerchunk and a morse code reply .. . . ? I hear the timed announcement. I thought maybe I could only receive it but wasn't able to reach it.
I then took my handheld with me and drove right up to the road that its on and tried to make a call on my mobile and listen on my HT.
All I got was a kerchunk, static and then kerchunk again. Over and over.
Because I'm new I tested Collingwood and had a great conversation with a couple of guys. So the unit is working but the meaford repeater doesn't seem to retransmit or well repeat.
The only thing I've heard was VE3EFQ and VE3OSO talking while EFQ was camping. I think it was a link from OSR though.

If you need any help testing just let me know.
0 x

va3ts

Post by va3ts » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:17 am

I sent Tom TVA and Bernie BQM an email asking if they would respond to the questions here... hope this helps...73
0 x
GBARC Forum Admin ... send questions etc to contact@gbarc.ca

ve3efq

Post by ve3efq » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:20 am

That sounds like a good idea. I was camping in the woods near Woodford and I am pretty certain that the repeater was not repeating anything I said. I could get out on OSR even though I was much further away from it that OST.
0 x

va3tva

Post by va3tva » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:29 pm

OST is currently on 1/4 25 feet or so off the ground. He UHF beam is maybe 20 off the ground. I suspect the link is week as the beam is shootin over Rockford as Rockford is well below the horizon. I can copy OST at Revenna, Thornbuy, and both sides of Meaford but barley down town Meaford. I have three holes dug for towers and hope to orginize enough to get them up by end of October. OST will then be on a 4 bay antenna, and the UHF for the link will be above it.

VA3TVA
0 x

ve3efq

Post by ve3efq » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:56 am

Excellent work! I'd like to see this one day. If you are getting it at Thornbury that's a good sign - no way my little HT could do that with 5 watts methinks. I don't know exactly where it is but my ability to receive it seems to depend a lot on topology. Are you able to transmit through it? I am sure I have not been able to do that.
va3tva wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:29 pm
OST is currently on 1/4 25 feet or so off the ground. He UHF beam is maybe 20 off the ground. I suspect the link is week as the beam is shootin over Rockford as Rockford is well below the horizon. I can copy OST at Revenna, Thornbuy, and both sides of Meaford but barley down town Meaford. I have three holes dug for towers and hope to orginize enough to get them up by end of October. OST will then be on a 4 bay antenna, and the UHF for the link will be above it.

VA3TVA
0 x