Guide to Extreme EmComm

Amateur Radio Emergency Service Grey County
ve3efq

Guide to Extreme EmComm

Post by ve3efq » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:06 pm

A fellow, NS0S, is writing up a guide for emergency communications based upon his first hand experience in Puerto Rico with the red cross; he wants to make the guide collaborative.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mo3 ... ga-IE/edit#

Some interesting points from the article:
What didn’t work for me

Winlink

Winlink didn’t work. Yes, it was possible to get messages out on Winlink. Yes, it was a valuable tool for transmitting messages. I also had zero issues using the provided software. The problem is you have to try multiple nodes to find one that can hear you. When you finally find the node that can hear you the band changes and your message stops getting transmitted. You have to start the process over again. It is not reliable form of communication and it should not be treated as such.
A fairly strong statement about a service that is being lauded as an important emergency communications tool.
This isn’t Field Day

You won’t be taking your RV out to a remote location. This is not field day. Remote emergency communications isn’t the time to be wearing flip flops and grilling hot dogs at your local park.
The document is quite long and covers many different areas. Another key point he stressed is the ability to make things - make antennas, attached connectors to coax etc..

Enjoy

VA3-GUF

Re: Guide to Extreme EmComm

Post by VA3-GUF » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:33 am

The link is off line from the looks of it. Would you have a copy for me by any chance?

ve3efq

Post by ve3efq » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:11 am

No; I did not save a copy for myself and the reddit thread has no new information. Not sure what has happened. Maybe it will come alive again; but, it did not contain anything that was not really in any of the other materials on the subject; what was unique and interesting were descriptions of his personal experience as part of the ARRL team in Puerto Rico. It seems like he as deleted a few of the reddit threads he started on this.

EFQ

ve3efq

Post by ve3efq » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:59 pm

An updated URL for the document has appeared:

Find it here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P56 ... IO4lw/edit