Interfaces for digital modes

Digital Communication
va3ts

Interfaces for digital modes

Post by va3ts » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 pm

A good read, it should answer everyones questions regarding interfacing your transceiver to the computer...73

http://www.wa1wa.net/filespdf/pskhandbook.pdf

GBARC Forum Admin ... send questions etc to contact@gbarc.ca

VE3PCP

Re: Interfaces for digital modes

Post by VE3PCP » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:36 pm

So, I am wondering.
I have read a few online reports regarding using a Kenwood TS440 for digital.
The rig has RCA connections on the back for AFSK In and AFSK Out, Out being constant level.
I have read that the connection can be as simple as Audio out from your computer to AFSK In and from AFSK Out to your audio input on the computer.
Adjust mic gain to attain power output level, run in vox mode using LSB setting.
AFSK Out is constant level so you can use your line in level on the computer to adjust and still use the volume control on the rig to control speaker volume which has no effect on AFSK Out.

Am I over simplifying it?

Thanks in advance.
Rob, VE3PCP.

va3ts

Post by va3ts » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Audio in and out is usually not the issue, mic input/speaker output, adjust with mic gain and volume to suit your sound card...the issue is usually keying the rig .... but not a giant issue, for those without serial ports, get a usb to serial adapter.... follow the instructions to make a keying interface to your radio using PTT ... 73
GBARC Forum Admin ... send questions etc to contact@gbarc.ca

VE3PCP

Post by VE3PCP » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Ok, thanks.
Several reported that they just used VOX but that all the levels had to be set up properly which makes sense.
I guess the only way to know for sure is download the software, done, then get some cables and give it a go!
When I downloaded the FT8 software onto my desktop, it said required audio input not found so I assume it looks for something from the receiver in the way of an audio input.
I'll be loading it on my laptop to give it a whirl in any case..

VE3PCP

Post by VE3PCP » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 pm

So I got things set up. Made 32 contacts between Friday night and Saturday.
Found out from Don, VE3IDS, that it is very important to sync the computer clock to the UTC clock. Even though I had it synced through the computer default, it was out by several seconds to the UTC clock. Once I manually synced it to the UTC clock and turned off the auto sync, the decoding improved quite a bit.
Uploaded log to eQSL and got quite a few cards back already.
Here is a short video.
Enjoy!
Rob, VE3PCP.

https://youtu.be/hQt2Fda9-T4