If you are registering, please use your callsign as your username. If you don't have a callsign yet, use your firstname and the Initial from your last name, like John M

Anyone else playing with boat anchors?

Antique, Hybrid, Solid State, SDR, QRP, all types
Ve3ids

Anyone else playing with boat anchors?

Post by Ve3ids » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:06 pm

I picked up a Heathkit HW-101 from kwarc this winter in a non working condition and have had fun getting it QRV. I have been using it consistently for the past month. It is satisfying using something that you repaired and learned a lot about in the process. I have plans to do some mods to it, the first one likely will be an x-lock vfo stabilizer to eliminate drift. Anyone else running old tube gear?
Don ve3ids
1 x

VE3PCP

Re: Anyone else playing with boat anchors?

Post by VE3PCP » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:28 pm

Without pics it didn't happen they say!
How about some pictures Don!

I acquired a DX60 station with an estate last fall. Powered up the receiver but nothing else yet.
Heathkit Line Up.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Ve3ids

Post by Ve3ids » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Nice station Rob, I tried to track down my hw-16 that I built in 1976 but sadly it has been lost. Tracked down the fellow I sold it to in 1979 but he gave it away long ago and doesn't remember who he gave it to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

VE3WI

Post by VE3WI » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Not "playing" yet but I recently picked up a Collins ART-13 WW2 airborne transmitter for $200 at the Burlington hamfest. They were used in most allied bombers (including Enola Gay). Looks to be in real good shape, has an RCAF reconditioning tag from 1964. Originally powered by a dynamotor but I need to build an AC PS. The PS could be expensive - Hammond still sells the transformers & chokes but they are pricy. I'll be searching the fleamarket at Xenia.

I also have the companion receiver (BC 348). It has an AC PS & works well. A BC 348, EICO 723 & Heath VFO made up my first rig back in '68.

Dave, VE3WI
0 x

Ve3ids

Post by Ve3ids » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Sounds cool Dave. Any pics? I'd be interested to see what that gear looks like, not familiar with it.
0 x

VE3WI

Post by VE3WI » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Here's a couple of pics. Top one is from from https://www.radioblvd.com/art13.htm Excellent detailed writeup on this beast.
This one has an LF module (top centre) - mine does not. There are two LF units allowing operation from 200 - 600 kHz or 200-1500 kHz.

Bottom pic shows ART-13 & BC-348 in a Lancaster, from http://www.collinsradio.org/cca-collins ... rs/art-13/. That site has more pics & info, plus a set of videos by a retired Collins engineer who is an expert on the rig, including a demo of the Auto Tune system.
ATR13_2.jpg
It's about 2' x 16" x 12" & weighs about 70 lb. Twice as heavy and much bigger than the companion receiver BC 348.

The fascinating thing about it is the preset tuning (Collins called it "Auto Tune"). You can set up 11 frequencies & tune up on each and it remembers the settings. Then in the air, just switch the frequency selector to one of the presets and a motor drives all the tuned circuit elements (5 big dials across the bottom) to the correct positions. The tuning card (top right) was used to record all the settings in case auto tune failed on a mission.

Nice to see the Heath rigs you guys have. They look really clean and ready to power up. We used the big Mohawk/Marauder twins in the U of NB club station back in the day. I have an HG-10B that will drive my EICO 723 (some day) :-)

Dave, VE3WI
0 x

Ve3ids

Post by Ve3ids » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Cool gear Dave! Thanks for the background on it. That would be unique to use during novice rig roundup next year. I had my hw-101 on for this year's event, but it was QRV only about an hour before the start. Had fun with it during the roundup week, worked a lot of different vintage stations. I have been using it 99% of the time since then.
73 Don ve3ids
0 x

VE3WI

Post by VE3WI » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:12 pm

How about the year after next? Probably take that long to find affordable parts for the PS :-)
Dave, VE3WI
0 x