If you are registering, please use your callsign as your username. If you don't have a callsign yet, use your firstname and the Initial from your last name, like John M

Vertical vs Horizontal Polarization

Questions and solutions about your antenna and feedline projects.
VE3PCP

Vertical vs Horizontal Polarization

Post by VE3PCP » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:15 am

Hello again.
Many years ago I had a full size 80M delta lop at my QTH when I first got my license way back in the mid 80s.
H ad the point of the triangle suspended at the top of my 40' tower and the bottom horizontal side running parallel to the ground about 6' to 7' above the deck.
Fed it with 300 ohm twin lead through a tuner. Worked incredibly well on 80 and also pretty well on 40 and 20.
Since I now have a way to model antenna designs, I did one up for it with a couple of variations.
When you feed the loop at the top of the apex or along any horizontal side, it is horizontally polarized.
When you feed it at a bottom corner or a vertical side, it is vertically polarised.
Here are the results. Everything is the same from one set to the other except where the feedpoint is.

Horizontal polarization:
80M Hor Pol FP.png
80M Hor Pol Pattern.png

As you can see, much of the radiation on when on 80M is going up more than out. Peak is at 0* down to 40* take off angle. that is 40* from vertical.

Here is the vertical polarization.
80M Vert Pol FP.png
80M Vert Pol Pattern.png
So, as you can see, just by moving the feedpoint, the loop is a totally different antenna and much better suited for DX with a much lower take off angle of 65* from vertical. That is 65* lower peak radiation angle.

As the antenna is so close to the ground, there is not much gain shown in the model but I know from nay QSOs and comparing to a dipoe that it for sure was better than just a dipole.

Anyway, wanted to share.
Enjoy!
Rob, VE3PCP
0 x

VE3PCP

Re: Vertical vs Horizontal Polarization

Post by VE3PCP » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:40 am

The results would be the same on other bands as well but the higher in frequency you go, the more percentage of a wavelength it will be above ground.
So a 40M loop with the same apex height would have the horizontal leg higher off the ground which would improve the gain and radiation pattern as well.
I'll model up one for 40 and 20 later and post the results for that.
0 x