Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ecoflow Mini II Solar Generator
Photo 
[Image: Webshop-4-1280x1588-da-2-825x1024.jpg]
During my presentation at monthly club meeting on Jan 24, 2023 I stumbled through the description of my EcoFlow Delta Mini II solar generator. I was disappointed at not being able to provide the technical specification for this unit off the top of my head. The unit is worth a second look which includes enough technical data to be properly appreciated. I have some additional comments on why I think units like this are important as they relate to more formal emergency communications planning.

1) The unit features an 820 Wh LiFePo battery and has a rapid recharge circuit which can bring the unit up to full charge from 20% discharge state in just over 6 hours using a 160 + Watt solar panel under ideal conditions or using AC input, however normal charging times can be as long as 11 hours under less than optimal conditions.

I can personally verify that this charging information is correct as I have charged the unit fully using both AC and Solar inputs. Charge times can be highly variable depending on the discharge state of the unit and variable inputs voltages under changing solar conditions over the course of the charging period.

The unit will accept 800 Watts of input from a solar panel or panels. AC input will typically be 110 Volt from any wall outlet. Both charging circuits either AC mains or DC solar are through dedicated inputs on the back of the unit. When using solar to charge the unit it will also throughput to other devices connected to the units output circuits.

The unit has both AC and DC output capacity using multiple output modes. The front of the unit features 4 USB connections, one of which is a C type rapid charger. The rear of the unit features 4 standard AC type plugs which deliver 110 Volt AC power. I've used this to power HF radios, outputting to a power supply. The power is clean and steady with no hash, no sags or spikes.

I have also used the AC outlets to prepared meals using an induction style 1500 watt cook top during a power outage, as well as for fun when cooking for guests on our back deck. Even if the EcoFlow Mini is not power a radio, having a hot meal while operating at a field station could be a real luxury, especially during long sessions. No need to haul a gas powered camping stove or BBQ when you can cook using solar. Having extra power on hand is a valuable resource and clearly an advantage no matter how that power is being used.

It also has a 12 volt DC cigarette type socket which provides 12 volts DC. I can not verify the max available current flow in amps but assume that it is a minimum of 10 Amps as the unit will run a radio or can be used to power various DC appliances such as a mini-fridge. I will dig into the manual and see if I can find an answer to this question but at this moment I do not know the maximum current available from this socket.

At home, running a shack off the EcoFlo Mini or other such device is an obvious use. It can be charged off mains power and left ready to operate off-grid if needed. However, with the addition of a solar panel it will provide power independent of mains power service. As noted above, running a station may not be the only way that this or any other solar generator can be used in an emergency.

A part of emergency communications which is rarely discussed at length are all the other aspects of operator support. When planning emergency radio operations it is important to take into consideration all aspects of what is needed to maintain a station and the operator for 72+ hours. The EcoFlo Mini could be a part of this larger picture as it can be used to power a refrigerator or freezer and as already mentioned cook meals if there is enough solar available. However even when used in combination with a gas powered generator, solar can reduce the need for stored fuel for the generator and so extend run time.

All this in combination will help an off-grid station stay on the air longer or more efficiently.

EcoFlo Min II website