Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
International Space Station
For those interested in satellites and ham radio in space,  you might like to listen in to US astronaut KF5KDR,  a current crew member on the
International Space station  ( ISS ),  as he speaks to some high school students in Woodbridge Virginia next Thursday morning..  ( April 30th )
The  ISS  orbit that morning will pass just north of our area roughly from west (300deg) to east (101deg} between  09:32 and 09:44 local time.
The "downlink" frequency will be 145.800 Mhz,  FM,  and strong enough that you should be able to receive it  with your 2 metre base or mobile
station  and maybe even on a portable  if outside and with a better antenna...   I  will try to be on the GBARC 2M net  Wed. eve. with any  updated
info that may be  available at that time,,       73,   Paul,,   VE3PQ,  Lake Charles..
Well,   This mornings event was a bit of a bust...    NA1SS  on the Space Station did not come up on the air untill ISS was well past us and fading out...      But I managed to hear and record a couple of transmissions before they slipped over my horizon...

ARISS arranges this sort of event several times a year..    There will be more....
(2020-04-30, 19:03:34)VE3PQ  Paul Wrote: Well,   This mornings event was a bit of a bust...    NA1SS  on the Space Station did not come up on the air untill ISS was well past us and fading out...      But I managed to hear and record a couple of transmissions before they slipped over my horizon...

ARISS arranges this sort of event several times a year..    There will be more....

I heard the same Paul. I heard the call sign NA1SS and an apology for the delay, followed by "I have a list of the questions" and then LOS (Loss of Signal) as ISS headed out across the Atlantic.
G'morn John,,   Thanks...
I'm curious to know your receiving conditions,,,   radio,  antenna(s),  signal strength,  etc..
This was an exceptionally good  opportunity to copy KA1SS.   Too bad  it was almost lost...
73,   P...
(2020-04-30, 20:09:04)VE3PQ  Paul Wrote: G'morn John,,   Thanks...
I'm curious to know your receiving conditions,,,   radio,  antenna(s),  signal strength,  etc..
This was an exceptionally good  opportunity to copy KA1SS.   Too bad  it was almost lost...
73,   P...
Paul, I was sitting on my front porch facing east with two radios - a Baofeng handheld and a Yaesu 2m mobile with a whip antenna. The mobile radio had an open squelch but the signal from ISS was strong enough to open the squelch on the cheapie handheld. My QTH is west Owen Sound (same street as Bernie VE3BQM).

I just moved to Owen Sound last summer and someday I'll get around to installing my nice 2m collinear antenna outside. I am close enough to the repeater to get away with an indoor antenna for the net.

I used to be very keen on Amsat ops. I have used the ISS packet repeater to QSO with stations in the Midwest and have logged into the packet BBS on board ISS many times.

I still find satellites interesting but I mainly operate HF/CW nowadays.
John VA3KOT.