Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cyber Attacks During an Emergency Event
Smile 
This is an excellent article about a topic rarely discussed. However, in reading it you can see that this is a matter of genuine concern to emergency planners and emergency managers. As we all know to well Ransomware attacks have disrupted the normal operation of various infrastructure systems within the last 24 months. It is entirely plausible, even likely that such events will happen again in the future. This article makes the point that cyber criminals could take advantage of any disaster situation to create another layer of complexity to the situation. This then would make the job of anyone dealing with the crisis more difficult. It could in fact endanger those in greatest need of help.

At the risk of being seen as the profit of doom, I continue to point to such matters as clear and present threats to all of us. Having said that, I also believe that simply by seeing such potential problems we can be better prepared to deal with them should they come to pass. When I think of what Emergency Communications really means, I think of people, not radio gear. For me radio communication is just another tool to use to help each other in times of need.

I really enjoy HAM Radio as a hobby. But I also see the practical potential for using it for the benefit of family, friends, neighbors and our communities in general in a time of need. This is why I accepted the role of ACS Emergency Coordinator for Bruce County.

We live in a time of great uncertainty. The world is a complex and connected place today. Even here in Bruce County, were emergencies are rare, various events in distance places, can create unexpected problems which were largely unknown in the past. For that reason I think taking note of articles such as the one I'm sharing here is not only prudent but wise.

Cyber Attacks During an Emergency Event