Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency Management Strategy for Canada
Wink 
I'm sharing the link to a pdf document which is worth downloading as a reference. You will find the link below my comments.

This document clearly lays out the Government of Canada's objectives for developing "resilient" communities. This politically correct wording is code for, communities which are prepared to deal with emergencies without the need for the intervention of large organized top heavy agencies. Note please the specific reference to volunteers.

This document and others like it strongly suggest that the government of Canada wants communities to become more self-reliant in dealing with emergencies. If this assumption is correct then I feel it reinforces my view that amateur radio operators should refocus our efforts towards helping communities organize some manner of local (street level) emergency communications.

In my view this would involve helping local volunteer groups develop their own local emergency communications networks using unlicensed walkie talkies, CB radios or possibly phone based mesh networks. Such groups would interface and work with local HAM's and using our gear and ACS operators in Emergency Operations Centres to forward emergency traffic to one of our served agencies.

Following is the link to the previously mentioned pdf

Emergency Management Strategy for Canada