Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winlink Training Group
Wink 
I encourage everyone to get Winlink experience, even if you use no other digital modes. You can do this by using Winlink with telnet, which allows you to send and receive message via internet and so only a computer, the Winlink software and a Winlink account is required to do that. However, I couch my comments here by suggesting that having HF / VHF Winlink capability is very useful both personally and potentially as part of an ACS group.

There are various ways to connect a computer and radio together to do digital modes like Winlink. Newer radios like the ICOM 7300, the ICOM 705, The Yaesu 991A have internal sound cards and so require no other external sound card to operate in digital modes. However, other radios may require an external sound card like a Signalink or Soundblaster, just to name two.

When the internet is available Winlink can be used just like other email programs. However, when the internet is unavailable you can still send and receive email using HF via a Winlink Remote Message Server (RMS). This can be done wireless from the middle of the ocean, the middle of the desert or virtually anywhere on earth.

I expect none of that is news to most HAM's but I felt it worth saying in the event that you've been ignoring Winlink because you don't think it's relevant or interesting to you. Here's a point for consideration. CW is a valuable digital communications mode. However it's entirely useless if you need to send an email to someone. It's also not especially useful if you need to transfer information to other parties who don't know or use CW.

Winlink allows messages to be sent and received by anyone using plan English. No transcription is needed. This is especially valuable if you are supporting the Red Cross, or providing radio support in a hospital during an actual emergency. Consider also that a Winlink message can be sent when the recipient is off the air. It will sit on the Winlink server waiting for them to log in and retrieve it. This alone makes Winlink invaluable when working across time zones.

Winlink is an exceptionally valuable communications tool that is really easy to learn and easy to use. It's a great investment for personal use as well as for those operators that volunteer to assist with emergency communications during an actual emergency. All it takes to use Winlink is a little Planning, Preparation and Practice.

Here's the link. Please join us  Big Grin

RAC-ACS Winlink-Net-Group