Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Field Day 2020
Bug 
Just a thought. 
Since all the activities and gatherings are being cancelled and Field Day preparations are on the way, what are your thoughts on this public gathering if we will not be able to hold Field Day this year. 
We are in state of emergency as announced by Premier D. Ford and I don't see this activity happening this year but we could still operate 1B, 1D, 1C or 1E. Not sure if ARES can play a role in this type emergency.

Your thoughts?

73, Adam de ve3fp
73, Adam ve3fp
We do have almost 3 months to decide about field day, hopefully the current situation will have resolved itself by then, if not, we'll have bigger fish to fry ....
I think at this point we can keep planning.  At this point we can keep going.  I doubt we'll have more then 50 people in attendance at a time.  Time will tell.
Bug 
As this pandemic further threatens more and more events around the world, we should also be seeking alternatives. Toronto has announced cancellation of All events till end of June. No fishing or hunting across the province this year. One good thing is that more people are actually getting or wanting to get On The Air.

ARRL has issued more information and suggests some alternatives worth reading.
http://www.arrl.org/field-day

Some operating activities this weekend:
Nebraska QSO Party
Florida State Parks on the Air
Missouri QSO Party
Louisiana QSO Party
Mississippi QSO Party

Don't forget ONTARIO QSO PARTY  Apr 18 & 19

STAY SAFE & STAY HOME

73 de ve3fp
73, Adam ve3fp
At this point, the club is not out any money for field day.  And there is no harm in remaining organized.  We maybe wont order the Porta Pot to far in advance.  To the best of my knowledge, the City has not issued the letter of Permission.  I don't really expect them to.  And I would like to hear of alternate suggestions, and how they would work.  I have not looked at ether the RAC or ARRL web sites regarding field day.  Time will tell.
Hi

Looks like the ARRL http://www.arrl.org/temporary-rule-waive...d-day-2020 added a waiver to allow home station to participate as a club combined score.

What are the rules and Procedure that GBARC will adopt for this year FD. Our webpage is still indicating that we are at Victoria park https://gbarc.ca/fd.php .

ve3bqm

Bernie
VE3BQM
I updated the webpages, with what I had...Tom
(2020-03-17, 09:53:44)Adam_VE3FP Wrote: Just a thought. 
Since all the activities and gatherings are being cancelled and Field Day preparations are on the way, what are your thoughts on this public gathering if we will not be able to hold Field Day this year. 
We are in state of emergency as announced by Premier D. Ford and I don't see this activity happening this year but we could still operate 1B, 1D, 1C or 1E. Not sure if ARES can play a role in this type emergency.

Your thoughts?

73, Adam de ve3fp

GBARC members participating in Field Day 2020 from their individual QTH can submit their contact log after Field Day for Club Submission as a group. We will be using N1MM+ software that can be downloaded as well as N1MM+ documentation. In the following pages is information on the N1MM+ set-up information that you will need to do for the Field Day database.

N1MM+ Software Setup (Extracted from the N1MM+ documentation)

Initial Installation
Downloading and installing the program is described in detail in the Getting Started section of the manual, at Downloading the Software and Installing the Software. The purpose of this section of the manual is to document advanced methods for setting up the program for multiple independent configurations. Users of basic single-user installations who do not need more than one configuration will not need to use the methods described in this section, and should consult the Getting Started section instead.

Do not try to install multiple copies of the program
There should never be more than one copy of the program installed in a single
operating system. The program and its installer use Windows Registry entries that
only allow for one copy of the program. There are mechanisms to support multiple
call signs, multiple hardware configurations, and even multiple Windows user
accounts from a single program installation.

See the following pages additional set-up and configuration information.

For detailed info, refer to the N1MMpluss PDF documentation that can be downloaded for the N1MM+ website located at https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com in the Document Downloads menu.

After Field Day, generate a cabrillo file (details at end of document) and submit the contact contact file to VA3-GUF@outlook.com for compilation and submission. We suggest a Generic file be also exported ordered by QSO time as a back-up to the log for referencing if so needed. Submit both files after field day.

With the COVID situation, stations should not be more than 2 operators with the exception being a 3rd with one radio only. Classes of operation for the stations are as follows:

1B One or 2 persons portable
1B – Battery One of 2 persons portable (5 watts max power)
1C Mobile
1D Home station (will not count other D class station contacts)
1E Home station emergency power (may work all Field day Stations)

Exchange:
Stations will exchange their Field Day operating Class and ARRL / RAC location.
Example: a Class B station sends operating class and location (i.e. 1B ONS).

FIELD DAY N1MM+

GBARC members participating in Field Day 2020 from their individual QTH can submit their contact log after Field Day for Club Submission as a group. We will be using N1MM+ software that can be downloaded as well as N1MM+ documentation. In the following pages is information on the N1MM+ set-up information that you will need to do for the Field Day database.

N1MM+ Software Setup

Initial Installation
Downloading and installing the program is described in detail in the Getting Started section of the manual, at Downloading the Software and Installing the Software. The purpose of this section of the manual is to document advanced methods for setting up the program for multiple independent configurations. Users of basic single-user installations who do not need more than one configuration will not need to use the methods described in this section, and should consult the Getting Started section instead.

Do not try to install multiple copies of the program
There should never be more than one copy of the program installed in a single
operating system. The program and its installer use Windows Registry entries that
only allow for one copy of the program. There are mechanisms to support multiple
call signs, multiple hardware configurations, and even multiple Windows user
accounts from a single program installation.

See the following pages additional set-up and configuration information.

For detailed info, refer to the N1MMpluss PDF documentation that can be downloaded for the N1MM+ website located at https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com in the Document Downloads menu.

After Field Day, generate a cabrillo file (details at end of document) and submit the contact contact file to VA3-GUF@outlook.com for compilation and submission. We suggest a Generic file be also exported ordered by QSO time as a back-up to the log for referencing if so needed. Submit both files after field day.

With the COVID situation, stations should not be more than 2 operators with the exception being a 3rd with one radio only. Classes of operation for the stations are as follows:

1B One or 2 persons portable
1B – Battery One of 2 persons portable (5 watts max power)
1C Mobile
1D Home station (will not count other D class station contacts)
1E Home station emergency power (may work all Field day Stations)

Exchange:
Stations will exchange their Field Day operating Class and ARRL / RAC location.
Example: a Class B station sends operating class and location (i.e. 1B ONS).

Starting N1MM+ for the first time;

On Start-up for the first time, create a new logger and database. Select OK.

Select OK on new database completed.

Set-up station info. Select OK and make sure N1MM+ has admin rights if window requests it.
New windows will set up as next image once admin rights have been granted.

Change HAM to “GBARC Field-day 2020” followed by your call sign. That way when you submit the database log, it should have a different file name for each of you making it easier to compile the ARRL submission.

Save new database.

Now enter your station Info.

Now enter your station Info using EN94 as you Grid Square. Creator of this document will be in a different Grid Square identified by the Google Maidenhead map.

AFTER FIELD-DAY:[img=396x179]file:///C:/Users/Home/AppData/Local/Temp/lu5080eljxj.tmp/lu5080eljxz_tmp_c8108f3f7802a04e.png[/img]

Create a Cabrillo file of your contacts by selecting FILE and then CREATE CABRILLO FILE.

Create as well a Generic Export file for backup references that may be needed by Selecting File>Export>export to File (Generic)> Ordered by QSO time.
Cheers

Frank

Grey County ACS/ARES Co-ordinator
VA3-GUF / VE0-GUF / VE0-VET