Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Weather News - CME's
Video 

As radio operators we are all aware of the impact Coronal Mass Ejections (CME's) have on propagation. This video features some interesting video footage a recent solar storm had on earth as viewed from the ISS. It mentions the uptick in sunspots and related CME's and provides some very interesting information about how these can follow the magnetic links between earth and the sun. This information was new to me and so I thought it worth sharing. If you have an interest in space weather this is a great video to watch.

As a final note, from a preparedness perspective the video also touches on the potential for CME's to take out internet service for considerable periods of time. There is a lot of consider and discuss on this subject as it is something that would impact everyone.
Interesting ... but ... currently more concerned with weather closer to home!!!  We weren't in the tornado (or microburst, not sure yet) zone, but power has been off since about 4PM yesterday.  My generator started on the first crank, thanks to Briggs & Stratton and fuel stabilizer.  I ran it until about midnite & restarted it at 0530, mainly to keep the fridge & freezers cold & to run the network. 

No word yet from Westario about restoration time (date?).  They got part of Southampton restored.  I guess it will come back when it comes back.  Just glad it's not winter - no heat needed.

I've never experienced wind and rain like yesterday.  At the peak you couldn't see across the street.  My WX station reports 3.2" for Sept, & I bet almost all of it was yesterday.  Lots of damage, houses, trees, power lines etc.  My mast survived (ship masts used Douglas Fir for a reason!).

One benefit of having the power off - the clear night sky was spectacular.

Dave, VE3WI
(2021-09-08, 05:18:24)VE3WI Dave Wrote: Thanks for your comments Dave. You are entirely correct in your assessment with regard to local weather being more important than space weather in the short term. Each can be disruptive to our lives in various ways, but yesterday's storm was the perfect example of how local weather events are those of most immediate concern. I'm pleased that your generator started on the first pull. Here's hoping Westario gets your power restored soon.

Here in Paisley our power blinked off for 10 minutes or less. It was just long enough for me to shift us on to our solar batteries before mains power returned. Had the power remained off we would have been fine on auxiliary power for days. I'm not bragging here, just relating that solar really shows it's true value when mains power fails.

Slipping on my ACS hat for a minute I have a couple of comments for the benefit of all readers. Yesterday's storm illustrates why I feel so strongly that all repeaters and home shacks need backup power and solar recharging capabilities. I also use this opportunity to point out that, anyone with a mobile rig in their vehicle can get on the air and participate in the ACS Bruce county emergency net, which I'm now developing. I don't have it fully organized yet, but once I do announcements will be forthcoming.

During emergency situations, this Bruce County Emergency Net will allow us to exchange real time, local news and situation reports. It will also allow us to ask for help for ourselves or others, or offer help when needed. This kind of net would allow us to share the kind of practical useful information which would be unavailable by other means.

This is the kind of specific information that will not be available on commercial radio. To my way of thinking this kind of information sharing is the best example of practical emergency communications. GBARC can be a very valuable, practical emergency resource to all our club members as well as for our family, friends neighbors and community.

This kind of practical street level "Auxiliary Communication Service" differs from sitting in an Emergency Operations Centre waiting for something to do. As radio operators in our communities we can in fact make a real difference to others in many ways large and small. I think that having such a local ACS net is a simply a good investment. It will make our communities safer and offer a quick easy way to organize resources and so help ourselves rather than to rely entirely on emergency services.

Marvin Big Grin
PS: I need willing volunteers to make the Bruce County Auxiliary Communications Net viable. As already noted am currently organizing this net, and putting together materials that will be needed for volunteers. Not only will this be practical but I will also be fun. There are 8 municipal regions and 2 first nation communities in Bruce County. The new net will use these areas as the principle organizational foundation. It has been suggested that this new net might involve operators in Grey County and I am actively considering this idea.

Interesting ... but ... currently more concerned with weather closer to home!!!  We weren't in the tornado (or microburst, not sure yet) zone, but power has been off since about 4PM yesterday.  My generator started on the first crank, thanks to Briggs & Stratton and fuel stabilizer.  I ran it until about midnite & restarted it at 0530, mainly to keep the fridge & freezers cold & to run the network. 

No word yet from Westario about restoration time (date?).  They got part of Southampton restored.  I guess it will come back when it comes back.  Just glad it's not winter - no heat needed.

I've never experienced wind and rain like yesterday.  At the peak you couldn't see across the street.  My WX station reports 3.2" for Sept, & I bet almost all of it was yesterday.  Lots of damage, houses, trees, power lines etc.  My mast survived (ship masts used Douglas Fir for a reason!).

One benefit of having the power off - the clear night sky was spectacular.

Dave, VE3WI