Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency and Incident Managment Courses and more
Video 
As I step into the role of Emergency Coordinator (EC) for Bruce County, it was strongly suggested that I need to take 2 courses offered by the Ontario  Government. These are the the Incident Management and Emergency Management courses. I've now signed up for both courses. The rationale behind taking these course is simple. Both courses are used to train Emergency Managers and so form a standard set of organizing principles, protocols and operating methods for those involved in emergency response.

As a radio operator supporting served agencies during an actual emergency or simulated emergency I need to speak the same language as professional emergency personnel and understand what they are doing and why. Aside from having my own set of operating skills for radio communications, having a solid foundation in emergency management is key to offering effective support to the activities of those supported agencies.

You can get more information about the courses here if you wish to know more. Emergency Management Training

However, those who know me, or have heard my presentations about mesh networks, will understand that I have a very broad view of what we should be doing to prepare of an emergency both individually and as a community. I've done extensive research on this topic and developed some opinions based on the real world experiences of others. What I have concluded is that emergency response should not be a top down exercise, both rather a grassroots community based approach.

This idea is not mine alone. In fact FEMA in the US has also adopted some version of this core idea in their emergency planning strategies. Generically I describe this concept simply as "community preparedness". I am sharing a video I hope everyone will watch and share. In this video David Kaufman openly and frankly talks about the changing world of Emergency Management. He makes the same point I have also made although doing so from a professional emergency management perspective.

Even if you have no interest in Emergency Communications take some time to watch this video. It is not about EmComm, but rather something that impacts us all directly, emergency preparedness and planning in our communities. This is very relevant in these uncertain times, even with the calm, stable peaceful lifestyle we enjoy in this part of the world.