Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AREDN Mesh Net development in Wisconson
As some already know I'm the digital guy for GBARC. Some may also know that I've been promoting the idea that our club undertake the development of an AREDN (Amateur Radio Emergency Digital Network). My reasoning on this point is simple, like it or not, amateur radio is rapidly moving in the digital realm. All major brands have digital systems now, but this alone is not why AREDN is important.

AREDN will allow us to offer important and valuable communications capabilities to served agencies. Such high speed mesh-networking technology is also valuable to us as a club. It is important to note that AREDN Mesh Networking gear should not be confused with the Mesh-Networking software / hardware used for the Community Mesh Networks I am also proposing to build. AREDN uses HAM radio frequencies, higher power and is only available to HAM's.

The video I am sharing here does a good job of explaining AREDN gear and how it is being used by a radio club in Wisconsin. However it also touches on features of an established AREDN net(s) in and around Los Angeles.