Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
October meeting 2020
Hi All,

So, I know that I have left this a little late.  But, rather then working something out for Tuesday evening, I was hoping for something maybe along the lines of the 31st or the 1st.  I was thinking that we could meet at Harrison's Park in the picnic area north of the main parking lot. Or in the band stand.  We're partly through the Soy Bean harvest at work, and I have admittedly been dragging my feet trying to plan around other things, that are not simply falling into place.  I can't promise to be there, but I will do as much as I can to be there.  Mid to late morning is best for me, but it's not my club, it's the memberships club.  You folks tell me what you want.

Tom
(2020-10-26, 04:46:27)VA3TVA Tom Wrote: Hi All,

So, I know that I have left this a little late.  But, rather then working something out for Tuesday evening, I was hoping for something maybe along the lines of the 31st or the 1st.  I was thinking that we could meet at Harrison's Park in the picnic area north of the main parking lot. Or in the band stand.  We're partly through the Soy Bean harvest at work, and I have admittedly been dragging my feet trying to plan around other things, that are not simply falling into place.  I can't promise to be there, but I will do as much as I can to be there.  Mid to late morning is best for me, but it's not my club, it's the memberships club.  You folks tell me what you want.

Tom

Tom, I think the band stand at Harrison Park is probably our best option. I am available any time you want to call a meeting.
Harrison Park Bandstand sounds good.  Sat 31 Oct or Sun 1 Nov are fine for me.

Daytime preferred as it gets dark early.  If it's going to be 1 Nov., remember that Daylight Savings Time ends at 0200, 1 Nov.  So don't forget to "fall back" or you'll be an hour early for the meeting.

Dave, VE3WI
Although planning to attend the next meeting, I am not able to attend this weekend due to other commitments.
(2020-10-26, 05:38:18)VE3WI Dave Wrote: Harrison Park Bandstand sounds good.  Sat 31 Oct or Sun 1 Nov are fine for me.

Daytime preferred as it gets dark early.  If it's going to be 1 Nov., remember that Daylight Savings Time ends at 0200, 1 Nov.  So don't forget to "fall back" or you'll be an hour early for the meeting.

Dave, VE3WI

That's probably my best chance to be on time Smile
Hello Members,

October will likely be the last outside meeting mother nature will allow us.  Since we've already embraced technology, why don't we start now with a plan to transition to Zoom for the November meeting?

We could start by getting an inventory of members who either have web cams or have laptops with built-in cameras.  This would allow any members time to get to Staples to buy a web cam and get it set up.  Then we could schedule a few dry runs with small groups for a touch/feel of the Zoom application.

I have used Zoom several times but only as a participant.  I was sent an email link with a date and time for the meeting.  The first time I clicked the link when I was emailed an invitation, it required me to install the Zoom client which was straight forward.  You do not have to have a Zoom account to be a participant.

Once I got into Zoom, my meeting host was there as well as other participants.  I noticed the mute button was on by default and this threw a few people off as well as myself.  On the bottom left side of the bar are buttons to mute/unmute the audio as well as a button to stop the video.

Here is a simple YouTube video showing you how to accept a Zoom invitation by e-mail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRK_3z1dhps

Once we have a list of members who have web cams and are able to participate in a Zoom meeting, I would be glad to do some trial runs with members to see how well we fare.  Hopefully between now and Novembers meeting time, we could iron out all the bugs and be prepared to go live on video for the rest of the winter.

Thanks,

73 Rob VE3RWY
(2020-10-26, 06:56:44)Rob_Walker Wrote: Hello Members,

October will likely be the last outside meeting mother nature will allow us.  Since we've already embraced technology, why don't we start now with a plan to transition to Zoom for the November meeting?

We could start by getting an inventory of members who either have web cams or have laptops with built-in cameras.  This would allow any members time to get to Staples to buy a web cam and get it set up.  Then we could schedule a few dry runs with small groups for a touch/feel of the Zoom application.

I have used Zoom several times but only as a participant.  I was sent an email link with a date and time for the meeting.  The first time I clicked the link when I was emailed an invitation, it required me to install the Zoom client which was straight forward.  You do not have to have a Zoom account to be a participant.

Once I got into Zoom, my meeting host was there as well as other participants.  I noticed the mute button was on by default and this threw a few people off as well as myself.  On the bottom left side of the bar are buttons to mute/unmute the audio as well as a button to stop the video.

Here is a simple YouTube video showing you how to accept a Zoom invitation by e-mail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRK_3z1dhps

Once we have a list of members who have web cams and are able to participate in a Zoom meeting, I would be glad to do some trial runs with members to see how well we fare.  Hopefully between now and Novembers meeting time, we could iron out all the bugs and be prepared to go live on video for the rest of the winter.

Thanks,

73 Rob VE3RWY
Rob, I am ready to go with Zoom.
Smile 
This time I'm not going to forget the lawn chair ..  and if there is a cool breeze we could set up beside the Bandshell, like a bit of a windbreak.
Either OcT 31 or Nov 1 works for me, band stand sounds fine, earlier is better.
Doug McDougall Smile
Sad 
In my opinion this month meeting shouldn't be held outdoors or indoors due social distancing. The weather this time of the year is unpredictable and temperatures are usually less than comfortable. There is no reason it can't be done using Zoom in comfort of your home. 

I believe that everyone has a computer or a smart phone with a camera, so it is just a matter of installing Zoom.us and be done. Whoever initiates a meeting can send out an email link to all members of the club. If you want to attend, click on the link sent to you and you are good to go.

No driving, not sitting in the cold just sit in your favorite chair. Zoom is now secure so only invited members can attend. 

I don't want to turn anyone away from attending in person but I don't believe this is the time to hold an outdoor meeting.  
I will not be attending.

73, Adam VE3FP
73, Adam ve3fp
(2020-10-26, 21:22:29)Adam_VE3FP Wrote: In my opinion this month meeting shouldn't be held outdoors or indoors due social distancing. The weather this time of the year is unpredictable and temperatures are usually less than comfortable. There is no reason it can't be done using Zoom in comfort of your home. 

I believe that everyone has a computer or a smart phone with a camera, so it is just a matter of installing Zoom.us and be done. Whoever initiates a meeting can send out an email link to all members of the club. If you want to attend, click on the link sent to you and you are good to go.

No driving, not sitting in the cold just sit in your favorite chair. Zoom is now secure so only invited members can attend. 

I don't want to turn anyone away from attending in person but I don't believe this is the time to hold an outdoor meeting.  
I will not be attending.

73, Adam VE3FP

I agree with Adam's points. Adam and I talked on Zoom yesterday evening with no trouble. I installed a Zoom client on my old Linux laptop but I had audio problems with it. Then I installed the Zoom app on my recently acquired Samsung tablet and it worked flawlessly.

It may be short notice to get all members up and running on Zoom in time for a meeting in the next few days but we should certainly encourage everyone to try. Tom, VA3TS, has put a link to Zoom.us on the club's homepage to encourage and help us get started.
I  can attend a meeting either Saturday or Sunday, the bandstand preferred.  As I've never used Zoom, the learning curve to master the program within a week is too steep for me.  However, I can see it being a good tool for future meetings.  Thanks Tom for linking it on the home page.
(2020-10-27, 19:16:55)VE3JMD Jim Wrote: I  can attend a meeting either Saturday or Sunday, the bandstand preferred.  As I've never used Zoom, the learning curve to master the program within a week is too steep for me.  However, I can see it being a good tool for future meetings.  Thanks Tom for linking it on the home page.

Jim, I am new to Zoom as well but I found the learning curve for joining a meeting was about 5 minutes. I am sure there are features that will take me a little longer to master but the basics are painless. Why not give it a try? We'll be holding a Zoom meeting during Wednesday evening's GBARC VHF net. If you join us we can talk you through any problems you might encounter.

I installed Zoom on both my computer and my Android tablet. I found the Android version is the easiest to use. I just open the app and bingo, it works.
Good morning everyone.

There have been a number of replies on the forum. And to my email.  So, meet Saturday morning st 9 am at the band stand.  This will be the last in person meeting for the foreseeable future. We will transition to Zoom.  More to come on the that.  Please join the Wednesday night net as they are also doing Zoom.

Tom
f you would like to pay membership dues,I'll be at the meeting.ive looked into e-Transfer through the club's bank and its costly there's a $15.00 a month service charge.so we can discuss at the meeting and to decide in what to do.