Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outdoor Operating
I packed up my portable rig, drove to Hibou Conservation Area and spent about an hour operating by the lake this afternoon. The waves were splashing up onto the shore right in front of me. I only made a couple of contacts; Ted in Delaware and another Ted in New Jersey, both SKCC (Straight Key Century Club) members, but it was a great outing.

Rig: Yaesu FT-891 running 35W, powered by two 7AH Sealed Lead Acid batteries
Antenna: MFJ-1979 telescopic vertical with homebrew loading coil for 40m
Mode: CW - straight key

Beautiful place, beautiful day. I love this hobby!    
John VA3KOT
Nice picture John!  I hope when I have my bugs ironed out I enjoy the hobby like you do.

73 Rob
Thanks Rob. I drove by your house yesterday and saw your skyscraper of an antenna. I think you're making a mistake. We are meant to transmit RF up towards the ionosphere, not build an antenna so tall that it can just drop signals directly into the F2 layer Big Grin .
(2020-08-19, 07:40:52)VA3KOT John Wrote: Thanks Rob. I drove by your house yesterday and saw your skyscraper of an antenna. I think you're making a mistake. We are meant to transmit RF up towards the ionosphere, not build an antenna so tall that it can just drop signals directly into the F2 layer Big Grin .

Too funny John ! Tongue