Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Webpage updates
You may have noticed some updates to the club page. Some eye candy here and there to be sure, but the goal was to make it easier for handheld devices to use. I changed the menu system, this one is more "single fingerpress friendly", each page will have the hamburger symbol and clicking or pressing there will activate the menu.

hamburger

In addition there are two other navigation icons
Clicking this will take you back to the homepage

This returns one page back from where you currently are

Great webpage Tom!

Very informative video about PowerPoles on the front page. I've installed lots, so here are a few other notes:

soldering: Another reason for not soldering is that some people like to flow on lots of solder when they make a joint (if some is good, lots must be better!). It can run down onto the tongue area of the terminal. There's not a lot of clearance inside the housing, so the extra solder will quite likely make it impossible to insert the terminal.

small wires: In the video, he was using #12 or maybe #10 zip cord. It's stiff enough to make inserting the terminals "relatively" easy. Maybe you have an SWR meter, amplified speaker, bias tee to send 12V out on the coax, etc (I have all of these). You need PPs on some small zip cord, maybe #20, to power these devices. Try pushing that wire to install the terminal! As the presenter mentioned, a small flat screwdriver is needed to push directly on the back of the terminal.

roll pins: When you buy the PPs you will likely get some roll pins. I throw them away. If one falls out (and they will fall out) and drops into an energized circuit, you may be sorry. The dovetails are pretty secure, but if you don't trust them, put a drop of glue on them before you slide the housings together.

retention clips:
PPs will come apart under vibration or handling. Vendors sell plastic retention clips that go into the roll pin holes to keep them connected.

polarization:
PPs are not polarized and will happily go together red to black if you make a mistake. If you are making a multiple connector array with sets of PPs side-by-side, put alternate sets upside down. That's the way commercial units are made. Also beware of equipment that might have PPs installed backwards from the standard ARES orientation shown in the video. The ANAN 7000 and 8000 SDR rigs have their PPs backwards, deliberately according to Apache Labs.

disassembly: If you need to take a PP apart, use a small flat screwdriver to lift the front of the terminal up off the spring. Then you can pull it out.

availability: The best source of PPs and everything related to PPs is Powerwerx (https://powerwerx.com/). They have everything you'll ever need and ship promptly. No, I don't work for them :-)

Dave, VE3WI