Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for mast material
Hello GBARC.  My summer project is get my tower and antennas up.  I was wondering if anyone had any mast material I could buy from you.  I am looking for some heavy duty 2" mast maybe 10' long.  I plan to have about 8' or 9' above my bearing.  Locally I can buy 12 gauge galvanized.  Thanks for any assistance. 73 Rob
(2020-04-14, 12:22:40)Rob_Walker Wrote: Hello GBARC.  My summer project is get my tower and antennas up.  I was wondering if anyone had any mast material I could buy from you.  I am looking for some heavy duty 2" mast maybe 10' long.  I plan to have about 8' or 9' above my bearing.  Locally I can buy 12 gauge galvanized.  Thanks for any assistance. 73 Rob

Hi Rob,,,        2"  ??    Are you sure??       That's pretty big for the typical ham antenna and rotor....

I see you have a new  Wade/Delhi tower going up soon...    If you put the rotator inside the top section
with a mast bearing on the top plate the clamps are generally sized for 1-1/2" standard pipe  (schedule 40)
which has an OD of 1.9".   This will be plenty strong enough for all but the very largest of multi-element yagis..

Make sure you buy  Pipe,,  not Tubing..     Also, Look for  aluminum pipe,   it's a lot lighter and probably still
has adequate strength..     Or you can upgrade to schedule-80 aluminum (thicker wall).. 

What antennas are you planning??   Do you know the wind loadings ?     Would be interesting to calculate
the bending moment at the top bearing...

Cheers,,   Paul,  VE3PQ
(2020-05-05, 14:27:17)VE3PQ  Paul Wrote:
(2020-04-14, 12:22:40)Rob_Walker Wrote: Hello GBARC.  My summer project is get my tower and antennas up.  I was wondering if anyone had any mast material I could buy from you.  I am looking for some heavy duty 2" mast maybe 10' long.  I plan to have about 8' or 9' above my bearing.  Locally I can buy 12 gauge galvanized.  Thanks for any assistance. 73 Rob

Hi Rob,,,        2"  ??    Are you sure??       That's pretty big for the typical ham antenna and rotor....

I see you have a new  Wade/Delhi tower going up soon...    If you put the rotator inside the top section
with a mast bearing on the top plate the clamps are generally sized for 1-1/2" standard pipe  (schedule 40)
which has an OD of 1.9".   This will be plenty strong enough for all but the very largest of multi-element yagis..

Make sure you buy  Pipe,,  not Tubing..     Also, Look for  aluminum pipe,   it's a lot lighter and probably still
has adequate strength..     Or you can upgrade to schedule-80 aluminum (thicker wall).. 

What antennas are you planning??   Do you know the wind loadings ?     Would be interesting to calculate

Cheers,,   Paul,  VE3PQ

Hi Paul, thanks for joining my post.  I ended up going with steel galvanized pipe, 1/8" wall, 1.9" O.D.  The Wade bearing is 2" I.D. and I am mounting two of them back-to-back on the thrust plate.  My Hy-Gain Tail Twister will fit this mast.

I have the Wade DMXHD-40N, the heavy duty version of their 40' tower.  This tower has a max. wind load of 9 sq. ft.  I am putting a TGM MQ-36SR three element hybrid quad on top.  This has a 3.1 sq. ft. wind load.

I plan to mount an AV-680 vertical in the corner of my yard this fall, primarily to cover 40/75.  This antenna has its own counterpoise and is self-contained.  If all works out this fall, I would like to consider mounting the vertical on my tower above my quad next year.  This is why I went with the 2" mast and a vertical that has its own counterpoise.

73 Rob

(2020-05-05, 15:07:37)Rob_Walker Wrote:
(2020-05-05, 14:27:17)VE3PQ  Paul Wrote:

Cheers,,   Paul,  VE3PQ

Hi Paul, thanks for joining my post.  I ended up going with steel galvanized pipe, 1/8" wall, 1.9" O.D.  The Wade bearing is 2" I.D. and I am mounting two of them back-to-back on the thrust plate.  My Hy-Gain Tail Twister will fit this mast.

I have the Wade DMXHD-40N, the heavy duty version of their 40' tower.  This tower has a max. wind load of 9 sq. ft.  I am putting a TGM MQ-36SR three element hybrid quad on top.  This has a 3.1 sq. ft. wind load.

I plan to mount an AV-680 vertical in the corner of my yard this fall, primarily to cover 40/75.  This antenna has its own counterpoise and is self-contained.  If all works out this fall, I would like to consider mounting the vertical on my tower above my quad next year.  This is why I went with the 2" mast and a vertical that has its own counterpoise.

73 Rob

Paul, you can find my tower project on this thread

https://www.gbarc.ca/ForumBB/showthread.php?tid=81