Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Ballistics Primer for the Radio Amateur
I agree with you Tom. When I am in the bush, or on my own property I tend to prefer my slingshot and fishing line. When I am in places like provincial parks I am mindful of all the rules and regs, some of which carry quite steep fines.

(2020-02-05, 20:39:00)VA3TS Tom Wrote: I couldn't find much on the web regarding much of any regulations in Canada. There are lots in the U.S. but for a country that have as many guns as citizens, I question why they make an issue of slingshots. Here is a website I came across by someone else that had the same question. 

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/thread...ada.42284/

Over the years I have had good luck with the slingshot to get a string up into a tree for field day or more often, right here at my qth.

A few things to remember:

It isn't necessary to pull the slingshot to it's maximum strength.
Heavy cord just means that if your launch is unsuccessful and gets tangled among the branches, then it's a problem to retrieve the line. I have found it is better to be able to break the line and start over. Fishing line is cheap and I use the 8 Lb test line because it does break easily. Cord also has a higher friction when moving across tree bark. I use a 1 ounce sinker, painted red or with red tape so it's easier to see. Nylon monofilament is the least UV resistant and is a bonus in this case because any line that is left in the tree, will deteriorate over time by itself.

A good amount of common sense should prevail and no matter what you do, there will always be somebody that doesn't like it.

My friend Ladislav Zarsky once said " You can't make happy everybody, ya"

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Ballistics Primer for the Radio Amateur - by VA3KOT John - 2020-02-06, 16:01:17